?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Here is my application. - The Hot Geeks

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Accepted Members List

March 17th, 2010


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
sedia
05:31 pm - Here is my application.
Never mind, I changed my mind :) Sorry to waste your time.

(19 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:magicmarmot
Date:March 18th, 2010 01:47 am (UTC)

Yep.

(Link)
Yep.
[User Picture]
From:naleri
Date:March 18th, 2010 03:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
Can we see your website?

And/or your art?
From:sedia
Date:March 18th, 2010 09:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sure if you like :) I can't say that my site is really finished but eh, it will always be an on going process.

Site
Art


[User Picture]
From:hooper_x
Date:March 18th, 2010 11:50 am (UTC)

POST TITS OR NO.

(Link)
man i haven't done this in forever.
From:sedia
Date:March 18th, 2010 12:41 pm (UTC)

Re: POST TITS OR NO.

(Link)
You can kiss an ass. ;) I'll take a no if that's your stupid requirement. hehe :P Only one who gets that treatment is the boyfriend.
[User Picture]
From:sketchington
Date:March 18th, 2010 01:56 pm (UTC)

Yes, but...

(Link)
As a professional American animator, I have to disagree that all animation can qualify as "anime." Also, excellent sass-back at Hooper X. Way to go.

Edited at 2010-03-18 01:57 pm (UTC)
From:sedia
Date:March 18th, 2010 02:13 pm (UTC)

Re: Yes, but...

(Link)
To each their own, and thank you. :)
[User Picture]
From:recharge138
Date:March 18th, 2010 03:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes.
[User Picture]
From:peefy
Date:March 19th, 2010 07:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh my gosh, the community, it lives!

No, sorry, I'm really not seeing geek, at all. You don't seem passionate about anything based on your explanations. What about psychology makes you love it? What do you do/plan to do with your degree? That sort of thing.

And, sorry, but my biggest issue with you considering all forms of animation aime? Are you Japanese? Do you live in Japan? Do you speak the language fluently? If the answers to those aren't yes, it seems really silly that you'd consider all animation anime. No offense, it's just odd, especially because I think there's an established difference, even in Japan, of Japanese animaton versus animation which originated anywhere else.
From:sedia
Date:March 19th, 2010 08:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You don't need to be from Britain to speak English, I don't see why it matters. Like I said, I don't expect people to agree, its just my opinion. We all have a right to belief in things differently, despite our geographical and hereditary differences. :)

As for being passionate, would you rather I said "Wiring: I just loooooove writing so much! I do it all the time! I would die without it!" xD I have no problem talking about what makes me love psychology or what I plan to do with my degree if you want to get into specifics but here I was trying to be brief because I didn't want a post that was like 10 pages long. :)

I mean I say I am a big fan of Sailor Moon and have tons of trading cards. I could say I have seen all the episodes (sub, dub, and live action) and movies and seramyu, that I am deep into the card community and that I run a group for it, that I have a sight dedicated for all the sightings of Sailor Moon in other animes, etc etc but that would make the post longer and for each topic well... I don't know many people who would be THAT interesting in learning about little ol' me. If they want hey, strike up a conversation, but otherwise I think I'll stick to just the basics right off the bat. Besides, they say your not supposed to give everything away on the first date ;)
[User Picture]
From:peefy
Date:March 20th, 2010 05:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Understandable, but we tend to prefer meatier applications. We want to get to know what makes you passionately geeky (and, no, that doesn't mean saying something like: "I looooooove writing so much.") and sometimes too much information is better than not enough. Like, for example, I would have liked if you would have included all that extra info about Sailor Moon because it would have shown hey, wow yeah, you do really care beyond how a normal fan would.

Or, for example, I'm a playwright. If I just said in my application, "I write plays." that doesn't really mean shit. But if I instead included all the extra information about playwriting for me, eg. I've won awards, one of my plays may be professionally produced within the next couple years, I plan to pursue an MFA in playwriting, etc., I'm explaining that playwriting is something I'm really dedicated to and geeky about.

I'd rather see an application in which someone talks about one and only one thing they are geeky and passionate about, than a couple sentences about everything they enjoy that someone may consider geeky.

Anyway, splitting hairs. Opinion is opinion, we agree.

(Oh, and the reason the anime/animation thing rubs me the wrong way is because of a weird sort of cultural appropriation that doesn't sit right with me. But again, opinion.)

Edited at 2010-03-20 05:18 pm (UTC)
From:sedia
Date:March 21st, 2010 12:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I can totally understand that, I've just pretty much always done it that way. I am a pretty humble person and don't generally go on and on about something unless someone specifically asks, showing me they really want to know more about it. I like to converse but not with someone who doesn't show any interest ;) I have this thing about not bugging people by talking on and on... my sister is a talking, has been all her life, and it just bugs me when she is talking about something that I think is really boring and since I know that feeling so well I don't like to make others feel it. :)
[User Picture]
From:lysanderlove
Date:March 19th, 2010 09:29 pm (UTC)

No,

(Link)
Freddie II gave us "He who defends everything defends nothing".
Liking "everything" just tells us your calibration is a little wacky.

I'm also noticing some contradiction between "Conversation is a love of mine", and the multiple retreats to "This is my opinion, I don't expect you to agree." to end the discussion.
From:sedia
Date:March 21st, 2010 12:41 am (UTC)

Re: No,

(Link)
Fair enough, even though I disagree with Freddie II's quote (however it's true my calibration has always been a little wacky, everyone's is when their being looked at by someone who does not share their beliefs ;)). It kind of reminds me of someone who was going on and on about how "real love lasts forever!" earlier and I told them that anyone who tried to tell me that I wasn't in real, honest, 'real' love with my ex-boyfriend when we were going out simply because we broke up later on would get smacked upside the head. xD

As for 'this is my opinion', since when has saying that meant that I can't converse with someone or love conversation? peefy and I are having a perfectly fine conversation even though we have both said it. Saying something is my opinion and that I don't expect others to agree is me saying just that, its not saying that I refuse to listen to another persons opinion or that the conversation is over. All it means is that this is what I believe and I am not going to try and force my believes on you but we can still carry on a conversation just fine. :)

...I could be snarky and say it again just to finish off this conversation but I shall refrain. My brain is kind of fried from playing Ultima Online all day and then going out to eat and thinking "this doesn't look like Britannia..." hehe to much troll and orc killing on the brain I guess.
[User Picture]
From:lysanderlove
Date:March 21st, 2010 03:29 am (UTC)

Re: No,

(Link)
This seems to be missing the point through more hyper-subjectivism.

Whereas this "Real Love" idea is just a variation of the old "No True Scotsman" fallacy, a better analogy would be them asking if you really Loved your boyfriend despite treating them the same way you treat everyone else "Because I love everybody!". Trouble is, Love, like geekiness, has an element of priority integral to it. You can't give everyone priority, because the concept loses its meaning. At some point you have to pick a stance or a side or a subject and run with it. The alternative is to never say anything meaningful.

Falling back on "This is my opinion" isn't saying you can't converse. It's saying -nothing at all- and that's the crux of the problem. You've got foundations, so tell us some things about your passions that I can potentially disagree with, and then tell me why I should agree with them.

You must have some good reasons for doing the stuff you do. Like the anime thing, if you can show us your point of view and make people realize something they hadn't thought of, this is a way to score some points. Not explaining it just makes you come off as weird. I don't want to have to break out the Weeaboo hose yet. I'm hoping for a good reason.

Anyway, so drop the false modesty (because seriously... you're applying to a community called "the Hot Geeks". Busted.) and tell me something meaningful about the things you love. If it's awesome, I'll make this a Yes.
[User Picture]
From:lysanderlove
Date:March 21st, 2010 04:00 am (UTC)

Wait....

(Link)
Scratch that!

I figured I might have been a little harsh, so I checked out your website to see what your art and writing are about. Having found that your namesake character who is described "As close to me as my own soul" is an undying, Half Dragon/Half Elf telepathic Vampire with red/amber eyes, a dead family, tragic past, a healing factor, super senses, 'natural elven beauty so she doesn't have to wear makeup', and magic eyes that let her see into people's emotions, but are cursed so that she is unable to cry, (Oh, and she was raised by Drow) I cannot in good faith give a yes.


http://www.wiccananime.com/seddy/uocharsseddy.html
From:sedia
Date:March 21st, 2010 01:20 pm (UTC)

Re: Wait....

(Link)
Fine with me. Yes she is very close to me too, so would any character be when someone has played them for like 8 years. Good faith would be asking me about her, but I don't need to justify a character who has been thoroughly RP'd out to someone who is obviously not interested in the full story. Nothing wrong with that, feel free to think whatever you want doesn't bother me. :)
From:sedia
Date:March 21st, 2010 01:43 pm (UTC)

Re: No,

(Link)
I don't treat him the same way even though I love everybody, there are different ways to love things you know. And priority integral? ...maybe for you. I am perfectly capable of loving everybody in their own light, might sound totally crazy or whatever to you but that's you.

And I don't need to justify anything, I don't need to prove myself or my passions to you. Foundations? I grew up in a house where my mother liked country, my father liked metal/rock, and my sister liked rap/techno so yes I have a very, very broad range of what I like in music and the same with everything else. Those are my foundations, a giant melting pot of a family that allowed me to not be narrow minded on what is good and bad, what should be a favorite and what shouldn't be.

"Oh she can't be modesty cause she's applying here busted!" give me a fucking break. xD So I made a post that says what I enjoy and included a few pictures, I wasn't being vain or boastful. I didn't say I was so hot and so cool, I posted on a whim cause I thought it would be fun to talk with other geeks about similar interests. The whole "hot" business I could really do without but that is part of this particular group's stance so eh.
[User Picture]
From:laeryken
Date:March 26th, 2010 06:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Saw it before you took it down (approved it being posted, actually... I think).

I would have said a yes. /shrugs. Take care! No time wasted, and keep being yourself :)

~Jason

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com